Kaiser, Don't Deny

Patients need access to timely and consistent mental health services

Filing Complaints in Hawai’i

As a Kaiser member, you have the right to file a complaint with Kaiser as well as with consumer-protection agencies that oversee your health plan.

Filing a Complaint in Hawai’i with Kaiser Permanente

All health plans are required to have an internal process for health plan members to file complaints and receive a decision in 7 or 30 calendar days depending on the urgency of the problem. To file a complaint over the phone, contact Kaiser at the numbers below. To file a complaint online, visit healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/hawaii/support/submit-a-complaint#/tellus. To chat or email with Kaiser’s “Member Services Department,” visit healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/support. If you’re not satisfied with Kaiser’s decision, you have the right to appeal it to one of the outside consumer-protection agencies described below.

  • HMO Members:
    Call 800-966-5955 and press “0” to talk to a live person.
  • Medicare Members:
    Call 800-805-2739.
  • QUEST Members:
    Call 800-651-2237 and press “0” to talk to a live person.

Filing a Complaint in Hawai’i with Consumer-Protection Agencies

  • HMO Members:
    Contact the Hawai’i Insurance Commissioner at 808-586-2790 between 7:45am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. You can submit a written complaint by completing this two-page PDF form on caa.hawaii.gov and sending it by e-mail, US postal mail or fax. To submit the form by email, send it to ihealth@dcca.hawaii.gov and note in your email message that you were unable to sign the attached form because you’re submitting it by email and you’re confirming submission.
  • Medicare Members:
    Contact the Hawai’i State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) at 888-875-9229 for free, one-on-one counseling over the phone or on Zoom. Alternatively, you can also fill out a brief online form to request a call from a counselor by going to hawaiiship.org/contact/ and clicking the blue box at the bottom of the page that says “Counseling Request.” The Medicare Rights Center also offers support at 800-333-4114 and through its website at www.medicarerights.org.
  • QUEST Members:
    Call Hawaii’s Med-Quest Division Grievance & Complaint Hotline at 808-692-8094. For support, you can call the Medicaid Ombudsman Program at 888-488-7988 or visit www.himedicaidombudsman.com.
  • EUTF Members:
    In addition to filing a complaint with the Hawai’i Insurance Commissioner or Medicare, EUTF members can file a complaint with EUTF by calling 800-295-0089 or eutf.hawaii.gov. You can schedule an appointment with an EUTF Member Service Representative on eutf.hawaii.gov/appointment-schedule/.

Has Kaiser Permanente delayed or denied your mental health care?
Have you or a loved one been forced to endure long waits for appointments?

Share Your Story