NUHW members at Elk Grove Unified School District win big raises
NUHW members at Elk Grove Unified School District unanimously approved a one-year contract extension that will raise wages by more than 10 percent.
The agreement, which expires June 30, 2024, includes:
- A 10 percent salary increase retroactive to July 1, 2022.
- An additional 2 percent one-time bonus to be paid no later than next February.
- Educational reimbursements of up to $2,000 every three years.
- Establishment of Juneteenth as a paid holiday.
- Improvements to health plans that may result in members paying less toward medical benefits or receiving more money if they waive coverage.
The contract covers more than 90 NUHW members including mental health therapists, behavioral support specialists, physical therapists, occupational therapists and certified occupational therapy assistants.
The workers chose to exercise a re-opener in their contract last year. In addition to winning a significant raise in bargaining, they also secured, for the first time, limited reimbursement of educational costs, including tuition, certification and licensure fees, meals, lodging and transportation.
“This is a strong contract with significant raises that will go a long way in helping us to recruit and retain workers in our district,” said Jennifer Castillo, a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant who served on the Bargaining Committee. “We’ve grown stronger and more united since joining NUHW several years ago, and we’re excited to win an even better contract in 2024.”
Following the contract, an additional 10 members signed up to contribute to NUHW’s COPE fund.