CAREGIVERS SAY VOTE NO ON MIKE GARCIA
Protect Your Healthcare.
Vote NO on Mike Garcia.
In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic we need to be improving healthcare – not slashing programs and stranding tens of thousands of families in our district without adequate coverage.
Our district – Congressional District 25 – has more than 45,000 families who rely on Medicare and Medicaid. But even now, when we are all at risk, politician Mike Garcia wants to slash their care, saying we should limit access to Medicare and that he “was not a big fan of Medicaid.”
Mike Garcia also supports repealing the law that protects people with pre-existing conditions. Without these protections, thousands of District 25 families will face skyrocketing health insurance costs and thousands more will be denied coverage outright.
Garcia is the wrong choice for our district. But there is an outstanding alternative.
CAREGIVERS SUPPORT Christy Smith
Christy Smith is the daughter of a nurse who died because she could not afford her medication.
As a State Assemblymember, Smith has secured additional funds for our healthcare clinics and senior centers, co-authored a law to ensure that workers’ compensation insurance covers mental healthcare for first responders, and fought to pass paid family leave benefits for new parents and caregivers. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Smith has worked hard to secure more PPE for her district’s healthcare workers, and to provide her district’s senior citizens with food assistance and masks. In Congress, Smith will continue to make healthcare a top priority.
We can defeat COVID-19 and help Americans recover by taking these common-sense steps:
- Show our concern for each other and defeat the virus by wearing masks outside of our homes, washing hands often, maintaining physical distance, and staying home when we are sick.
- Dramatically expand COVID-19 testing and make it free so everyone has access to rapid results, and immediately expand our ability to reach out to people who have been in contact with individuals infected with COVID-19, so they can be tested and quarantine if necessary.
- Ensure there are adequate supplies of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for medical personnel, first responders, and essential workers so they can safeguard their health and prevent the spread of COVID-19 in their workplaces and throughout the broader community.
- Provide paid sick leave to people infected with COVID-19 so they can stay home for all our safety, and provide paid family medical leave so people can stay home to care for sick relatives.
- Increase support for workers who have lost their jobs because of necessary closures so the burden of COVID-19 does not fall unfairly on just some members of the community, and create a “restart” fund for small businesses that have been forced to close or have laid off workers.
- Provide additional support for at-risk groups including seniors, people with disabilities, and individuals with underlying conditions, as may be necessary to keep them safe from infection.
- Make plans and supply resources so hospitals and specialty care units have adequate surge capacity to provide care for all who need it during the oncoming spike of COVID-19 infections.
- Plan for a rapid, safe, and fair roll-out of vaccines all across the country once they are available.
- Defeat all attempts to strip current protections for those who have pre-existing medical conditions (including COVID-19 diagnosis). Protect and expand access to affordable, quality health care for all – which is now more important than ever – including increased access to the mental health care and substance use treatment that so many of us need in this difficult time.
In this election, we have the opportunity to protect our own healthcare and the healthcare of our family, friends, and neighbors.
- Before you support any candidate, check their positions against this short list and make sure we elect leaders who will protect our health.
- Will they preserve and expand the Affordable Care Act to ensure quality healthcare for all — YES or NO?
- Will they protect patients with pre-existing conditions — YES or NO?
- Will they expand quality mental health and addiction services — YES or NO?
- Will they fight to lower the cost of prescription drugs — YES or NO?
- Do they take COVID-19 seriously enough to protect our health and our economy — YES or NO?
This is the most important election of our lifetimes — and the turnout could set records.
Be a part of history by casting your ballot.