Work for NUHW
The National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW) is an independent, member-led union dedicated to improving the lives of healthcare workers and the people we care for. We are building a national movement of caregivers to hold healthcare corporations accountable to the public interest and to win affordable, quality healthcare for all. NUHW is searching for talented, hard-working individuals committed to building a powerful and democratic union.
Union Organizer – Southern California: San Diego, Los Angeles, and Orange Counties
The successful candidate for this position will have union experience, preferably in healthcare, organizing non-union workers. S/he will be values-driven, self-motivated and resourceful.
- Ability to motivate and lead workers in struggle
- Fluency in Spanish and English required
- Effective communication skills – listening, oral and written
- Capacity to establish and cultivate relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Knowledge of labor law in areas such as NLRA, FLSA, Title 22, Cal OSHA, etc.
- Formal and informal negotiating skills
- Proficiency in computer applications including email, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and use of the Internet
- Willingness to work long hours, including evenings and weekends
Must have a car, driver’s license and insurance; cell phone with email capability.
Salary $53,000-92,000 plus $6,000 auto allowance, employer-paid medical, dental and vision benefits for employee and family; life insurance for employee; holidays, sick leave, vacation; 401(k) with 14% employer contribution.
NUHW seeks a creative thinker who is resourceful, hard-working and committed to building a powerful and democratic union. S/he will work as part of a team of researchers, organizers and other staff on ongoing campaigns.
The work of a researcher is a mixture of industry analysis, strategy development, and campaigning to help win justice for healthcare workers and to improve the care of patients.
This is a full-time position based in Emeryville.
A strong candidate will have:
- Commitment to fighting for workers’ rights and activist experience;
- BA degree or relevant research and/or organizing experience (labor, political or community);
- Strong analytical skills (familiarity with business and/or finance is desired, though not required);
- Strong quantitative, computer and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent writing and communications skills;
- Willingness to work long and sometimes irregular hours.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including databases, on-line sources and informational interviews with union, industry and financial sources;
- Develop and implement campaign strategy and tactics;
- Communicate with various audiences (e.g., caregivers, patients, regulators, the public);
- Work with NUHW’s members, organizers, patients, advocacy organizations, elected officials and government agencies;
- Manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines, and thrive in fast-changing, emerging sets of circumstances where it will be necessary to work independently and take initiative.
Salary $53,000-92,000 plus employer paid medical, dental and vision benefits for employee and family; life insurance for employee; holidays, sick leave, vacation; 401(k) with 14% employer contribution.
How to apply
To apply for any of these positions, email your resume, cover letter, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Put your beliefs and skills into action. Apply today and be part of making history!