Kaiser, Don't Deny
Patients need access to timely and consistent mental health services
Filing Complaints in California
Internal Complaints with Kaiser Permanente
All health plans are required to have an internal process for health plan members to file complaints and receive a response within 30 days. Call Kaiser’s “Member Services Department” at 1-800-464-4000 to file a complaint. You can also contact Member Services and file a complaint though your member account on kaiserpermanente.org or by visiting healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/support (follow the steps to select your region and then scroll down to the bottom to click on “File a complaint”).
In addition to filing a complaint with Kaiser Member Services, you also have a right to file a complaint with the healthcare consumer protection agency that oversees your type of health plan:
- HMO Members (and some PPO members): Contact the California Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC) by phone at 1-888-466-2219 or visit the department’s website to file a complaint.
- Medi-Cal Managed Care Members: see #1 above for instructions for filing a complaint with the DMHC.
- PPO or High Deductible Plan Members: Contact the California Department of Insurance by visiting its website or calling 1-800-927-4357.
- Medicare Beneficiaries: Call the Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP) which is run through the California Department on Aging at 1-800-434-0222. Also see cahealthadvocates.org/hicap/. You can also contact the Medicare Rights Center National Helpline online at www.medicarerights.org/programs/national-helpline or call 1-800-333-4114
- CalPERS Members: In addition to filing a complaint with Kaiser member services and either the DMHC or Medicare, CalPERS members can immediately file a complaint with CalPERs. (You do not have to wait until the conclusion of the internal complaint process with Kaiser member services.)
- By email: Health.Appeals@calpers.ca.gov
- By phone: CalPERS Customer Service and Outreach Division toll free at 888 CalPERS (888-225-7377)
- By mail:
CalPERS Strategic Health Operations Division
Attn: Health Appeals Coordinator
P.O. Box 1953 Sacramento, CA 95812-1953
Has Kaiser Permanente delayed or denied your mental health care?
Have you or a loved one been forced to endure long waits for appointments?