Vietnamese-speaking Political and Community Engagement Liaison (Orange County)
About the Job
Buena Park, CA
The National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW) is searching for a talented, hard-working individual committed to building a powerful and democratic union. The successful candidate for this position will be values-driven, self-motivated and resourceful, with the skills, experience, and enthusiasm to help lead the union’s Vietnamese community and political engagement in Orange County. This is a half-time, temporary position, spanning three months.
About the Political and Community Organizing Department
The Political and Community Organizing team helps build and maintain our union's relationships with allies in our communities and in state, local, and federal government. The department leads our union's legislative and electoral coalitions and builds community coalitions in support of health care issues, workers' rights, and our members' contract campaigns.
- Identify and outreach to various community organizations that are likely to support NUHW’s work around the greater Fountain Valley and Los Alamitos areas.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders and community leaders that will increase the long-term standing of the union with the Vietnamese community.
- Set up meetings between union members, staff, and the community to help facilitate dialogue around healthcare issues and to help overcome any cultural barriers that may arise.
- Develop an understanding of unions and healthcare within the Vietnamese community.
- Help generate buzz and publicity for escalating union actions.
- Report to the Political and Community Engagement Department on progress.
- Spoken, written, and reading fluency in Vietnamese.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to relate successfully to individuals of all races, nationalities, religions, genders, sexual orientations, income levels, educational backgrounds, and occupational groups.
- Three years or more successful prior experience in grassroots lobbying, electoral field work, community coalition building, or work as a legislative lobbyist or staff person.
- Demonstrated ability to work long hours, independently, under stress and tight timelines.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and use of the Internet.
- Must have a car, driver license and insurance, and cell phone with email capability.
- Prior union organizing experience and a basic knowledge of healthcare policy and public finance.
Compensation and Benefits
- $5,000 monthly for a period of three months.
The National Union of Healthcare Workers is helping revitalize the labor movement with its commitment to worker empowerment and democratic ideals.
Founded in 2009, we have grown to represent more than 15,000 mental health clinicians, nurses, nursing assistants, medical technicians, clerks, and service workers. NUHW members are leading the fight to improve patient care, raise living standards, and hold healthcare corporations accountable to their employees and the communities they serve. And NUHW-represented mental health clinicians are powerful advocates for ending the stigma surrounding mental illness and enforcing mental health parity rules so that patients get the treatment they need when they need it.
Learn more about NUHW and its values.
Apply for This Position
NUHW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply.
Please complete the following form.