Research Coordinator (Emeryville or Glendale)
About the Job
Emeryville, CA or Glendale, CA
The National Union of Healthcare Workers is searching for a talented, hard-working individual committed to building a powerful and democratic union. The successful candidate for this position will be a creative thinker who is resourceful and hard-working. They will work as part of a team of researchers, organizers, and other staff on ongoing campaigns. The position works out of our Glendale or Emeryville office.
About the Research Department
The Research Department is composed of a team of full-time researchers who conduct industry analysis, strategy development, and campaigning to help win justice for healthcare workers and to improve the care of patients. Researchers work closely with NUHW’s members and staff as well as patient advocacy organizations, policymakers, government regulators, journalists, and others.
- Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including databases, on-line sources and informational interviews with union, industry, and financial sources.
- Develop and implement campaign strategy and tactics.
- Communicate with various audiences (e.g., caregivers, patients, regulators, the public).
- Work with NUHW’s members, organizers, patients, advocacy organizations, elected officials, and government agencies.
- Manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines and thrive in fast-changing circumstances where it will be necessary to work independently and take initiative.
- Experience leading research staff and projects, particularly in a union campaign setting.
- Familiarity with collective bargaining, corporate structure, and political/regulatory process.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Capacity to establish and cultivate relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated willingness to work long hours, independently, under stress and tight timelines.
- Commitment to democratic unionist principles (member-led decision making and mass participation), and readiness to take on a wide breadth of assignments to build worker power.
- Expertise in organizing, analyzing, and interpreting large and diverse sources of information (both quantitative and qualitative).
- Experience in financial modeling using MS Excel or similar applications.
- BA degree or relevant research and/or organizing experience (labor, political or community).
- Must have a cell phone with email capability.
- Five years’ experience in a similar field of work, particularly in the labor movement.
- Familiarity with the health care industry (providers, purchasers, and regulations).
- Familiarity with corporate financial statements and methods of analysis.
- Proficiency with advanced data collection and analysis tools (e.g. SQL, Pandas, Python, etc.).
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary: $111,926
- Employer-paid medical and dental benefits for employee and family
- Life insurance for employee
- Holidays, sick leave, vacation
- HRA and FSA plans
- 401(k) with 14% employer contribution
The National Union of Healthcare Workers is helping revitalize the labor movement with its commitment to worker empowerment and democratic ideals.
Founded in 2009, we have grown to represent more than 16,000 healthcare workers in hospitals, clinics, and county jails throughout California and Hawaii, including service, technical, professional, and home care workers, mental health clinicians, and nurses. NUHW members are leading the fight to improve patient care, raise living standards, and hold healthcare corporations accountable to their employees and the communities they serve. And NUHW-represented mental health clinicians are powerful advocates for ending the stigma surrounding mental illness and enforcing mental health parity rules so that patients get the treatment they need when they need it.
Learn more about NUHW and its values.
Apply for This Position
NUHW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply.
Please complete the following form.