Communications Specialist/Digital Organizer
About the Job
Emeryville, CA or Glendale, CA
The National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW) seeks a Communications Specialist with experience in print and digital communications and organizing. The Communications Specialist will report to the Communications Director and will play a key role in the union’s strategic contract campaigns and organizing efforts, with an emphasis on digital tools, including management of the union's email and texting systems and social media. The ideal candidate will be a creative and strategic thinker with the ability and temperament to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
About the Communications Department
Our growing communications team captures and amplifies the stories of NUHW members who are on the front lines fighting to better their lives and the lives of their patients and supports member contract campaigns and organizing campaigns. The team works collaboratively to craft compelling content that educates, inspires, engages, and pushes members and allies to take action.
- Support union contract campaigns by taking part in strategic planning meetings and writing, editing, and designing leaflets, mailers, signs, emails, text messages, blog and social media posts, and other materials.
- Manage the union's email, text, and social media tools.
- Take the lead on digital organizing efforts and social media, including devising and implementing public awareness campaigns, engaging with followers, advertising, and lead generation.
- Help develop and maintain social media accounts and campaigns for the union’s various bargaining units.
- Experience with digital tools including CRM, email and text platforms, social media, and performance metrics.
- Experience working with data systems, including the ability to convert data from various sources into preferred formats, extracting reports and data, and troubleshooting data-related problems.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and the ability to write effectively for different audiences and on different platforms
- Creativity and the ability to generate ideas and execute them.
- Ability to manage workflow and to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- A passion for social justice and advocacy.
- Technical skills: Mac platform, InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, Word, Excel, WordPress.
- Occasional travel within California required.
- Previous experience within the labor movement or progressive advocacy organizations and campaigns.
- Photography, videography, and photo and editing video editing skills.
- Fluency in a second language (ideally Spanish or Tagalog).
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary: $59,000 – $103,000 depending on experience
- Employer-paid medical and dental benefits for employee and family
- FSA and HRA plans
- Life insurance for employee
- Holidays, sick leave, vacation
- 401(k) with 14% employer contribution
The National Union of Healthcare Workers is helping revitalize the labor movement with its commitment to worker empowerment and democratic ideals.
Founded in 2009, we have grown to represent more than 15,000 mental health clinicians, nurses, nursing assistants, medical technicians, clerks, and service workers. NUHW members are leading the fight to improve patient care, raise living standards, and hold healthcare corporations accountable to their employees and the communities they serve. And NUHW-represented mental health clinicians are powerful advocates for ending the stigma surrounding mental illness and enforcing mental health parity rules so that patients get the treatment they need when they need it.
Learn more about NUHW and its values.
Apply for This Position
NUHW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply.
Please complete the following form.