Communications Specialist — Emeryville, California
Are you a strong communicator with a passion for social and economic justice and advocacy? Do you believe in the power of good writing and eye-catching design to inform, engage, and provoke?
The National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW) seeks a talented writer, editor, and page designer/production artist to join our staff as a Communications Specialist. This individual will play a key role in the union’s contract campaigns and all internal and external communications.
The National Union of Healthcare Workers is helping revitalize the labor movement with its commitment to worker empowerment and democratic ideals.
Founded in 2009, we have grown to represent more than 14,000 mental health clinicians, nurses, nursing assistants, medical technicians, clerks, and service workers. NUHW members are leading the fight to improve patient care, raise living standards, and hold healthcare corporations accountable to their employees and the communities they serve. And NUHW-represented mental health clinicians are powerful advocates for ending the stigma surrounding mental illness, and enforcing mental health parity rules so that patients get the treatment they need when they need it.
Our growing communications team captures and amplifies the stories of NUHW members who are on the front lines fighting to better their lives and the lives of their patients. The team works collaboratively to craft compelling content that educates, inspires, engages, and pushes people to take action to fix America’s broken healthcare system.
The Communications Specialist will work closely with the communications team and field organizers to write, edit, and design print and digital materials that inform and engage members and supporters and help build the union’s strength.
- Writing and editing: Write and edit print and digital communications materials in collaboration with the communications team, field organizers, and union officials.
- Production and design: Design and produce print and digital materials that inform and engage members, supporters, and the public.
- Contract campaigns: Strategize, collaborate, and contribute communications support to worker-led campaigns to win strong contracts with their employers.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Strong production skills (InDesign, Photoshop, or equivalent applications).
- Experience with WordPress (or other website and blogging platforms).
- Creativity and the ability to generate ideas and execute them.
- Ability to manage work flow and to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- A passion for social and economic justice.
- Experience designing in Word and Powerpoint or Keynote.
- Photography and photo editing skills.
- Fluency in a second language (ideally Spanish, Tagalog, or Chinese).
Salary: $54,000 – $94,000 depending on experience, plus employer-paid medical and dental benefits for employee and family; FSA and HRA plans; life insurance for employee; holidays, sick leave, vacation; 401(k) with 14% employer contribution.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.